Monday, March 19, 2007

The accidental YA book

I visited my local Borders today (something different) with the unusual purpose of checking out the young adult section. I began to select books at random. By about the eighth or ninth book, I realised that Loaded, but for its copious swearing and single graphic sex scene, could indeed be a YA novel. It's the right length, has the right themes and features a 19-year-old protagonist. I guess I never really considered it as such because it has biographical elements -and of course I'm no longer a young adult. But I suppose 10 years don't make that much difference and it is the sort of tale a younger person might dig (as opposed to the 40+ market).

Besides, I'm in no position to be picky. I'll publish it under Gardening if Allen & Unwin wants me to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home