Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A goddamned industry

I just witnessed something very interesting while killing part of my lunch hour at the local Borders. Stephen King's latest book Lisey's Story has just been released (I'd have a copy now, except I'm pretty sure my girl will give it to me as a gift) and I saw a guy go and take one off the shelf as if it were nothing more than a loaf of bread. He didn't read the blurb, he didn't even look at the cover.

One of SK's critics once referred to him as a 'goddamned industry' and seeing what I saw today, I'd have to agree - in essence, if not in principle. I don't think the implied insult in the critic's description is fair (jealous, more like it), but it's hard to imagine anyone being so blase about a $15 purchase for anything else. Whether high art or an opiate of the masses, King's books are a production-line commodity, an inedible (unless you're speaking figuratively) grocery item. If I was him, I think I could live with that.

Speaking of me, me, me, the first 30 pages of Loaded are done, done, done. That's right, as good as I can get them, ready for Allen & Unwin's pleasure. I'm going to make a final check of all my materials tomorrow morning, then print it out and send it off - tomorrow afternoon if I have an Express Post envelope, Monday if I don't.

As a result of the above, only 1,000 words of Commune will get done today. Oh, and yet another Andromeda update and still 'Other Intelligent Life' languishes in round 1. Waaaaah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home